Sr. Assistant General Counsel
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit—values still embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation today. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company. At the core of our DNA, we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. We strive to embody these same qualities for every individual that our company touches, from stakeholders to partners, from consumer to shareholder.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We demand excellence and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties in the United States. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast.
The Sr. Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for pro-actively supporting the leasing and operating activities of the New York office of The Howard Hughes Corporation.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review, draft and negotiate complex retail and office lease agreements, sponsorship and event agreements, professional service contracts, purchase orders and other operational contracts.
- Monitor and oversee the New York office contract process to ensure that it complies with HHC policy.
- Complete understanding of the terms of the EDC ground lease and other legal documents related to the operation of The Seaport.
- Provide accurate and timely counsel to HHC executives on a variety of legal issues.
- Assist with financing transactions.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
5-10 years of experience at a top-tier New York City law firm or as in-house legal counsel for a New York City-based real estate company.
Must have tremendous work ethic and a proven track record for getting things done.
Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, but use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
Must have excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
Must be able to work collaboratively with outside counsel, other members of the HHC legal department and other HHC executives and employees.
Must have exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Must be highly proficient in MS office applications: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
Must be licensed to practice law in New York.
- Must be passionate, entrepreneurial and dedicated to success.