The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with an unrelenting passion for excellence. While his achievements in aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investments in real estate that form the foundation of our company. With passion, determination and limitless imagination, he built one of the great American empires of the 20th century. At Howard Hughes, we live by our purpose to help people discover new ways of experiencing life - because it’s not just buildings and places that matter, it’s what you do with them that can change the way people live.
We aspire to be the most creatively driven real estate company in the world and we believe in fostering a culture that is built to last by cultivating curiosity and empowering every employee to find their story in this great organization.
The Property Accounting Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements for the properties. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, and internal/external audit compliance.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee and participate in the month-end close process, ensuring all journal entries, account analyses, and reconciliations are completed and reviewed on a monthly basis and are in compliance with SOX requirements.
- Review and analyze financial information to prepare monthly consolidated financial statements and other accounting and asset management monthly reports.
- Prepare quarterly reports and variance analyses as required.
- Participate in monthly meetings to review financial statements with Asset Management.
- Prepare appropriate schedules to support quarterly and year-end balances for management and for internal/external audit purposes.
- Assist with preparation of financial reports for internal purposes, loan reporting, SEC filings and SOX reporting.
- Participate in the preparation of re-forecasts and budgets.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Establish and review the implementation and maintenance of accounting policies and procedures while identifying areas of improvement.
- Develop and maintain an effective control environment over areas of responsibility, including G/L accounting, fixed assets, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Review management and leasing fee calculations as required.
- Review annual tenant expense recovery reconciliations and assist with tenant expense recovery audits as needed.
- Support the information needs of the corporate departments that are responsible for legal collection efforts, real property tax assessments, payroll processing, lease initiatives and financing due diligence.
- Assist property management with accounting related inquiries and special projects as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in accounting. Preference given to public accounting audit experience and /or real estate industry experience.
- Ability to prepare and analyze detailed financial statements and information.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Must be deadline focused, organized and exhibit problem solving skills.
- Must be self-motivated and work with little supervision.
- Interact effectively as part of a team and build positive relationships with employees at all levels within the organization.
- Must be able to thrive in a fast-pace, dynamic setting with competing priorities.
- Experience with J.D. Edwards, Realogic, and/or Hubble a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting