The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with an unrelenting passion for excellence. While his achievements in aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investments in real estate that form the foundation of our company. With passion, determination and limitless imagination, he built one of the great American empires of the 20th century. At Howard Hughes, we live by our purpose to help people discover new ways of experiencing life - because it’s not just buildings and places that matter, it’s what you do with them that can change the way people live.
We aspire to be the most creatively driven real estate company in the world and we believe in fostering a culture that is built to last by cultivating curiosity and empowering every employee to find their story in this great organization.
The Corporate Staff Accountant position will oversee the Overhead Allocations process for designated Corporate Business Units including reviewing and analyzing the monthly/quarterly/annual processes. The Corporate Staff Accountant reports to the Director, Corporate and General Accounting.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
OH Allocation Process
- Collect time data from allocated personnel.
- Update SharePoint information for employees, time data, projects/assets.
- Review time estimates for reasonableness and communicate with Regions if there are discrepancies.
- Create and process journal entries monthly for each Corporate Business Unit.
OH Allocation Reporting
- Prepare overhead allocation report for variance analysis compared to budget.
- Prepare overhead allocation report by Corporate Business Unit for review by Corporate Department leaders. Prepare overhead allocation report by Project for review by Project Team leaders.
OH Allocation Budgeting
- Create, process and prepare overhead allocation budgets annually.
- Work with regional departments to review and approve the budgets.
- Coordinate with HR to ensure all budgeted positions are included.
- Work with other departments to lead key Divisional and Corporate initiatives such as implementing new accounting software or divisional policies.
- Special projects and other duties as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum of 4-8 years of accounting experience required.
- Real estate industry and Real Estate Development or Project Cost accounting experience.
- Good understanding of accounting best practice processes for a publicly traded company.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, and related products.
- A team player who has the ability to multi-task and is self-directed.
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to detail.
- Must be deadline focused, organized and exhibit problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong technical writing skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Handle a dynamic work environment with competing priorities.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Corporate Allocations experience.
- Large company experience.
- Knowledge of JD Edwards general ledger application or similar ERP system.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required.
- CPA preferred.