Director Catering- Pier 17
The Howard Hughes Corporation, the nationally-recognized real estate company overseeing the re-development of New York City’s Seaport District, envisions the repositioning of the property as a magnet for attracting locals and visitors alike with a unique, year-round blend of entertainment, food and retail offerings. The centerpiece of the Seaport District’s renaissance is an entirely re-imagined Pier 17 complex, featuring a one-of-a-kind outdoor Rooftop event and entertainment space with stunning views, designed for the presentation of high-profile headline concerts, corporate and private event rentals, television events, and a Winter Village experience, among other programming.
Pier 17 will feature four unique venues: R17, Heineken Riverdeck, Market Hall, and The River Lounge. R17 is located on the rooftop of Pier 17. This fine-dining restaurant, complete with two rooftop terraces, will play host to the Pier 17 Rooftop concert series and its V.I.P's.
The three venues on the ground floor will meet the needs of all guests. Heineken Riverdeck consists of multiple kiosks, which offer an express way to purchase Heineken beers and sodas, while relaxing and enjoying river views. Market Hall is an all-day grab & go dining experience with fun specialty cocktails. The River Lounge presents an exciting escape. In the evening, live music, a small plates menu, and inventive cocktails turn The River Lounge into one of the city’s most sophisticated lounges.
Each venue at Pier 17 delivers exclusive views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the city skyline. As an essential part of New York for over 300 years, the re-envisioned Seaport District will continue to function as a much-needed community anchor and a “Port of Discovery” for the rapidly growing population of Lower Manhattan.
As the Director of Catering for Pier 17, you will lead the catering team to effectively solicit, plan and execute successful events resulting in memorable guest experiences and attainment of catering goals. We are seeking a leader that has the passion and drive to find new revenue opportunities and consistently strives to maximize revenue and deliver outstanding guest service and financial profitability.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit, direct, manage, develop and counsel catering sales team.
- Drive all catering revenues. Ensure monthly and annual catering revenue goals are achieved for Pier 17 and complete weekly and monthly forecasting of catering revenues.
- Solicit new and existing accounts to meet and exceed individual and team revenue goals.
- Develop marketing plans and evaluate trends to modify strategies that will enhance revenues effectively. Assist in the production of the annual Pier 17 business plan and budget.
- Ensure proper communication to all departments. Maintain a close working relationship with the GM Pier 17, Director of Food & Beverage, Executive Chef, Executive Catering Chef and Events Manager.
- Direct the catering sales effort to ensure revenue maximization with a working knowledge of food and beverage and understanding of kitchen and banquet service procedures.
- Lead catering team to book, sell, plan and coordinate all events while insuring the highest level of customer service.
- Develop catering menu pricing and event minimums using current competitive data.
- Maintain strong client relationships and ensure all appropriate information is communicated to ensure a successful event for the event planner and attendees.
- Maintain positive working relations with preferred vendors and wedding planners.
- Administer department payroll, including Kronos time edits, ensuring accuracy of scheduling, corrections and job coding.
- Assist in recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and training Catering associates.
- Effectively coach and counsel associates as needed and complete performance evaluations.
- Conduct monthly department/OST meetings.
- Attend required company trainings.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least 10 years of Catering/Events Sales experience required. College degree is also preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of the operations of the catering/hospitality industry.
- Dynamic, enthusiastic, creative leader who thrives under pressure and is able to perform multiple functions and troubleshot when needed.
- Must have proven selling, negotiating and presentation skills.
- Highly developed customer service skills with strong attention to detail.
- Proficient computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- The ability to delegate, effectively train and coach.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including night, weekends and holidays.
- Must be passionate, entrepreneurial, and dedicated to success