Director of Event Sales, Seaport District NYC
The Howard Hughes name is synonymous with entrepreneurial vision, tenacity and a pioneering spirit—values still embodied by The Howard Hughes Corporation today. While Hughes’ passion for aviation and the silver screen are legendary, it was his investment in real estate that forms the bedrock of the company. At the core of our DNA we believe we can Make Life Extraordinary. We strive to embody these same qualities for every individual that our company touches, from stakeholders to partners, from consumer to shareholder.
We believe in “Thinking Big” at The Howard Hughes Corporation. We demand excellence and an unrelenting dedication to success. Our mission is to be the pre-eminent developer and operator of master planned communities and mixed-use properties in the United States. We create timeless places and memorable experiences that inspire people while driving sustainable, long-term growth and value. We create environments where people want to live, work, shop, dine and play from coast to coast.
The NYC Seaport District will be world renowned for events, entertainment and retail. After completion, Seaport District will encompass seven buildings on several city blocks totaling more than 400,000 square feet filled with cutting-edge dining, shopping, entertainment and cultural offerings that will be one of the city’s ultimate destinations. Restaurants will include culinary powerhouses like Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Momofuku Group led by David Chang, and an additional 40,000 square foot food market in the restored Tin Building rivaling the most popular food concepts. South Street Seaport will also include 10 Corso Como, the first North American location of the globally popular concept store. For entertainment, visitors can experience leading cinema operator iPic Theaters’ first Manhattan location and the new Pier 17 building that will be highlighted by a 1.5-acre rooftop which boasts unparalleled views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the NYC skyline. The rooftop will be programmed year-round, include outdoor restaurants and bars, and a venue for seasonal concerts and special events—along with an annual transformation into a winter village, complete with ice-skating rink. The Seaport Distrcit will soon be a cultural and entertainment gathering place for New Yorkers and visitors alike.
The Director of Events is a leadership role responsible for setting event strategy, program design, packaging and roll-out ensuring that HHC events are “best in class.” He/she will build and grow The Howard Hughes brand, financially and from an industry-awareness perspective. In addition, the Director of Events assists in developing an integrated event strategy plan that complements our Strategic Partnerships ecosystem.
This role will work with central marketing teams and field marketing teams to understand market maturity, partner landscape that currently exist in order to better understand and recommend programs or sponsorship opportunities for the Seaport District. She/he will be responsible to develop and execute planning and alignment strategies with the corporate and field marketing leaders to build and recommend the right portfolio of events. You will be responsible for building and maintaining a process where there is two-way communication for sharing and creating consistency across our program portfolio. You will own the development of consistent measurement for event reporting and analysis.
Finally, you will be responsible for cultivating a team of event professionals that deliver high-impact and innovative programs that create a great customer experience.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Own the evolution and growth of the HHC’s event portfolio, determining which programs to add, change or eliminate. Look broadly across all channels to evolve the way we think about events and sponsorship activities.
- Own end-to-end management and development for event programs, including: playbook development, asset creation, demand generation best practices including email, social media and website advertising and provide consistent template for program reporting.
- Develop global sponsorship packages that support our program portfolio, creating innovative opportunities for our partner ecosystem.
- Measure, track, and analyze program results to provide data-driven reporting and recommendations for improving future events.
- Creation of Customer Relationship Management system to manage entire deal flow.
- Invent, simplify, and optimize event planning and execution processes to drive improvements to the customer experience and lead generation.
- Liaise with the field marketing managers to ensure program consistency across content, assets, keynote production and follow-up process.
- May be required to execute events and or consult on associated lead generation campaigns to drive attendance for programs using email, social media, and website advertising.
- Oversee receipt and response to inbound event sales inquiries. Management of events pipeline including coordination and participation in site visits. Maintain active list of event clientele.
- Pursue outbound event sales opportunities targeting prospective events suited to Seaport.
- Drive the development of the events business by championing the B2B marketing effort for commercial, private, social and film industry event activity through marketing activity including: advertising, event mixers, website development, venue listings, etc.
- Developing social media campaigns to promote the use of the Seaport District NYC as a venue for events and filming.
- Research and recommend media buying strategy and strategic media partnerships.
- Management of the approval and permitting processes associated with hosting an event at the Seaport District.
- Maintain event revenue forecast and pipeline. Track events revenue and expense with a focus on budget management and revenue goal achievement.
- Collaboration with Marketing department to ensure event success including social media, PR and recap development.
- Analysis and comparison of competition.
- Oversee all contract administration procedures.
- Maintenance and development to venue listings including Bizbash, Film Office and more.
- Planning and coordination of B2B marketing events/mixers.
- Collection and coordination of photo taking and recap creation of client events.
- Monitor A/R and A/P to ensure receipt and delivery of event payments.
- Work with Strategic Partnerships department to identify signage and upsell opportunities.
- Event Planning and Operations
- Managing of Event Calendar, delivery schedule and production schedules.
- Develop and maintain preferred vendors list including points of contact and valid insurance documentation.
- Oversee the collection and distribution of associated events payments, contracts and insurance documentation.
- Communication with Operations, Marketing, Accounting and Vendors to ensure the successful execution of each event.
- Oversee tracking and billing event clients for event-associated expenses.
- Responsible for all common area revenue including pop ups, events, activations, and coordination with seasonal RMU’s.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in marketing programs, event planning, sponsorship and marketing communications.
- Experience working with marketing and sales organizations.
- Demonstrated success in being able to manage multiple events/projects simultaneously.
- Proven track record in creating innovative and targeted marketing programs that generate results.
- Skilled negotiator with proven experience finding creative ways to do more with less and staying on budget.
- Solid attention to detail, customer-service orientation and creativity in problem-solving.
- An ability to present themselves in a highly professional manner and maintain confidentiality of sensitive data/material is critical.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and other evenings as necessary.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
- Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree (marketing concentration preferred).